The COVID-19 pandemic shone a spotlight on historic and systemic inequities and challenged us to rethink our priorities. Advance 2021: Building the new normal will focus on exploring ways to place health equity at the forefront as we rebuild.
Register for the free symposium.
This year we have deconstructed our symposium into four virtual events:
- COVID-19 community impacts - October 20, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
- The COVID-19 pandemic exacerbated existing inequities and disproportionally affected racialized communities, low-income workers, people living and working in long-term care, and other equity-seeking groups. Where do we go from here? In this panel, experts will discuss how to move forward on ensuring health equity for racialized communities and restoring trust in long-term care.
- Housing and health - October 27, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
- The COVID-19 pandemic saw a rise of evictions and encampments throughout the GTA and highlighted the critical need for accessible, affordable and safe housing. In this panel, experts from the US and Canada will examine the Housing First model, housing activism, and how we can move forward on healthy housing for everyone in our city.
- Income inequality and health - November 3, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
- How is income inequality linked to poor health? What is the connection between a universal basic income and good health? How is good food linked to equity and social change? In this panel, experts will share their perspective on the current state of income inequality as well as potential solutions and ideas to advance health equity.
- Climate change and health - November 10, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EST
- Climate change is recognized as one of the most significant public health threats of this century. Social determinants of health influence the way communities experience climate change. How does climate change exacerbate health disparities? In this panel, experts will examine the interconnectedness of health and climate, links between homelessness and climate change and unpack climate resilience.
The Wellesley is bringing you experts from across Canada and the U.S. for insightful panel discussions. We encourage you to send in your questions for our panelists by filling out the form available on our website.
View speaker line-up.