Families are an immense resource in the care, treatment and recovery of individuals with co-occurring mental health and addiction problems. However, they often have limited access to the resources, information and help that they need to be supportive to the ones they love. This six-week online course for health care providers explores the needs of families affected by concurrent disorders, as well as the strategies that health care providers can use to empower families and ensure that their experiences are more positive.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- describe the benefits of having families involved in the care of clients affected by concurrent disorders
- explain the impact of mental illness, including addiction, on families
- outline the challenges health care providers encounter while working with families
- describe the challenges and barriers families face with the mental health care and addiction system
- explain physical, emotional, social and spiritual self-care strategies families can use to reduce their stress
- explain how health care providers can provide support.
For more information and to register, please visit: