Just as physical first aid helps an individual with a physical injury prior to being provided with expert care, Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the support provided to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis, until the person can access professional and other supports.
Mental Health First Aid Certification is provided by the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
Course participants will learn how to:
- Recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis
- Have conversations that encourage a person to:
- Talk about declines in their mental well-being
- Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery and improve mental well-being
- Reach out to these supports
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
The Trainer for this workshop training is Dr. David Murphy. Dr. Murphy is a physician and a Certified Medical Psychotherapist, based in Leamington, Ontario. Dr. Murphy has a holistic approach to the treatment of mental health issues, paying attention of the well-being of both the mind and the body. Dr. Murphy's medical practice focuses on treating psychological trauma, addictions, depression, anxiety and pain.
Participants will need to register for the workshop training by May 19 2021. Participants will then need to complete Module 1 (which is a self-learning module) by September 7 2021. Completing Module 1 takes about two hours. Modules 2 and 3 are presented on September 14 2021. To be certified in Mental Health First Aid, participants will need to participate in all three training modules.
The registration fee is $275.00 plus HST and fees
There will be a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 15 participants for this Mental Health First Aid training workshop, to allow for discussion with and feedback from the participants. The workshop training is interactive and experiential.
As the workshop is presented through Zoom, you will need a high-speed internet connection and the Zoom app on your computer. I would recommend using a computer rather than a tablet or phone.
To Register, go to: