Live webinar: September 16 and 23, 2021 | Time: 9 a.m. to noon EST
Facilitator: Colleen Carney, PhD, CPsych
Client age category: For professionals who work with clients aged 12 to 25 years.
Participants of this webinar will receive a copy of Dr. Carney’s book "Goodnight Mind for Teens: Skills to Help You Quiet Noisy Thoughts and Get the Sleep You Need | Series: Instant Help Solutions " delivered to their work/home!*
Description: Youth sleep problems are highly common and unresolved sleep problems are predictive of subsequent mental illness; evidence-based solutions are a must for clinicians who work with youth clients. Most sleep workshops focus on paediatric or adult sleep programs, but they are not suitable for this age group because the sleep problems of this group are unique. This age group experience circadian rhythm problems, hypersomnia, hypersomnolence, as well as insomnia – sometimes simultaneously. Using CBT for insomnia ignores the other sleep problems.
One helpful approach has been to recognize the transdiagnostic nature of these sleep problems and leverage cognitive behavioural solutions to help this group. This training will teach specific cognitive behavioural sleep medicine approaches to teen sleep problems (Harvey et al., 2016) across two days. Join this dynamic, experienced leader in behavioural sleep medicine for a workshop using breakout rooms, didactic instruction, experiential exercises, demonstrations, and clinical case examples. Attendees will have access to and learn how to use a validated free app to help adolescents and young adults sleep better.
- Assess the difference between common teen sleep problems, such as voluntary sleep restriction, circadian rhythm dysregulation, hypersomnia, and insomnia
- Devise an evidence-based plan for common problems such as voluntary sleep restriction, circadian rhythm dysregulation, hypersomnia, and insomnia
- Use motivational interviewing techniques to help teens buy-in to treatment engagement
- Communicate effectively with teens and support them in improving their sleep
- Demonstrate to clients how to use a free app to track sleep and set goals to support your work together
Registration fees: $270
For full registration information please visit https://cvent.me/QrYK2W