Link to article: https://link.springer.com/arti...7/s40489-021-00243-0
- The present study investigated the association between autism and problematic internet use (PIU) and gaming disorder (GD). A systematic literature search was conducted in accordance with PRISMA guidelines.
- A total of 2286 publications were screened, and 21 were deemed eligible for inclusion in the review.
- The majority of the studies found positive associations between PIU and subclinical autistic-like traits with weak and moderate effect sizes and between PIU and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) with varying effect sizes.
- Additionally, individuals with ASD were more likely to exhibit symptoms of GD with moderate and strong effect sizes.
- Future research would benefit from high-quality studies examining GD and PIU at a clinical level and their relationship with both clinical and subclinical autism.