To provide a pathway to acute Schedule 1 beds that is clear, consistent, and equitable across Northwestern Ontario.
- Increased capacity for emergency mental health and addiction care to Northwestern Ontario through enhanced regional service and knowledge transfer
- Reduced unnecessary transfers to Schedule 1 mental health beds
- Timely transfers and discharges from the regional emergency departments
- High patient and staff satisfaction
- Net system incremental cost avoidance through the reduction of patient transfers, admission, and length of stay
- A collaborative initiative among TBRHSC, Lake of the Woods District Hospital (LWDH), and St. Joseph’s Care Group (SJCG), and 11 non-Schedule 1 hospitals to provide safer Emergency Department spaces and a standard process for emergency mental health assessments accessible throughout Northwestern Ontario.
- Dedicated safer spaces for patients in regional emergency departments seeking mental health assessment and treatment.
- A Mental Health Assessment Team (MHAT) model consisting of specialized nurses and psychiatrists providing virtual mental health and addictions assessment, observation, disposition and treatment recommendations, transfer coordination, and knowledge mobilization to 11 regional emergency departments in Northwestern Ontario.
- Regional MHAT receives consultation request for patient in Region
- Telemedicine assessment of patient once medically cleared
- Collaborative discussion with patient, care partners & ED care team
- Recommendation to the ED Physician or Psychiatrist
Ongoing support to patient in ED and staff, coordination of Schedule 1 transfer (if required), assistance with referral & connection to local services.
For more information on The Regional Mental Health Assessment Team, please contact:
Dr. Mandy McMahan, Director Adult and Forensic Mental Health, email@example.com