Reference: Little, S. & Bala, J. (2023, March 7) UBC research draws new links between video game ‘loot boxes’ and gambling. Global News.
- Looked into research between the connection on loot boxes in video games and gambling
- Many games offer loot boxes often for purchase with real money for a randomized chance to win a large prize which is similar to gambling
- In the study it was seen that those who send more on loot boxes in video games are more likely to continue on and gamble later
- Some countries have moved to create regulations around loot boxes and other gambling in video games
- Gambling has also entered the gaming world by gamblers streaming on Twitch a platform often used to stream video games, studies found that those most likely to watch gambling streams were young men who have a vulnerability towards gambling, watching gambling may cause urges
- This use of gambling tactics may be used to hook people into playing the game and continuing to gamble through loot boxes which creates more investment in the game as they are spending more money
- this study also shows the harm of loot boxes have and that many who use loot boxes will go on to gamble which could be an important vulnerability to watch out for and attempt to prevent